Last updated on July 18th, 2021 at 08:46 pm
The Harrison neighborhood is in the southwest corner of Milton and includes Hawthorne Village, developed in 2008–2015. The area is close to the Niagara Escarpment, conservation areas, and farmlands, and also to a national cycling center, and the neighborhood itself features woodlots, large parks, trails, and bike lanes. A shopping plaza is located on Derry Rd. Housing is mainly large single-detached homes as well as townhomes.
Harrison is named after Thomas and Elizabeth Harrison who were the first to settle this land, arriving from England in 1820. The Harrison family had eight children – six sons and two daughters. The Illustrated Historical Atlas of the County of Halton published in 1877 shows the Harrison surname on many of the farm lots in the vicinity of the present-day neighborhood. In particular, the John Harrison homestead is featured in the Halton County Atlas with an ink sketch showing an expansive farm with a stately Georgian home, a bridle path, stables, a horse paddock with lots of horses grazing in the field, a fenced-in floral garden, and a field with neatly arranged rows of crops. The Niagara Escarpment looms in the distance. The present-day neighborhood was created on paper in 2004 as part of Milton’s expansion of its urban core. This initiative was known as the Sherwood Survey and also included the Milton Heights and Scott neighborhoods to the north and the Wilmot neighborhood to the east.
Harrison is a newer neighborhood on the western edges of Milton’s urban core. It overlooks the Niagara Escarpment to the west. Harrison is also known as Hawthorne Village an award winning community developed by Mattamy Homes. In 2002 Hawthorne Village was awarded “Project of the Year” by the Ontario Home Builders Association and “Community of the Year” by the Greater Toronto Homebuilders Association. The curvilinear streets in this neighborhood are lined with sidewalks and pretty cast iron street lamps. The blue and white street signs on the borders of the neighborhood proudly proclaim Harrison Neighborhood. Some of these street signs also display the logo of a horse and a country fence. The neighborhood has a new urbanism feel in terms of the architecture. The lots are wide and the houses have large picture windows and a variety of architectural styles. The schools and parks are all concentrated in the middle of the neighborhood. The Mattamy National Cycling Centre is located just to the west of this neighborhood. Who knows someday maybe Canada’s next great Olympian cyclist will be proud to say they grew up in Milton’s Harrison neighborhood.
Harrison has a large number of three-storey townhomes with new urbanism styles featuring attached garages off laneways and attractive architecture with brick exteriors and a variety of architectural features ranging from turrets, window shutters, steeply pitched asymmetrical roof patterns with gabled dormers and roof top finials, oriel windows, and second floor porches. The two-storey detached houses are traditional colonial style with columned front porches, patterned brick work with keystone accents and cantilevered box bay windows. The attention to detail is remarkable for so many homes built within the same subdivision.
Ford, has 5 Public schools and 4 Catholic schools in this neighborhood, your kids can get a great education.
Address: 1450 Leger Way, Milton, ON L9T 7K6, Canada | Telephone: 905-636-7523
“Viola Desmond Public School is an innovative learning community. Our learning community empowers students, educators, staff, parents, and our neighborhood. As a learning community, we are guided by 6 principles that we established together.” As originally published by Viola Desmond PS
Address: 396 Williams Ave, Milton, ON L9T 2G4, Canada | Telephone: 905-878-2839| Fax: 905-878-0617
From 1960 to the present day, MD students have excelled in the arts, athletics, academics and applied technologies. The many awards, pictures, trophies, banners, and plaques on display throughout our school record our deep tradition of excellence and honor the achievements of all the Mustangs who have worn the M with pride, including MD’s most famous graduate, Canadian Astronaut Chris Hadfield, Class of 1977, the first Canadian to walk in space. Building on our strong foundation of success on the performance stage, in the classroom, on the playing field, and in the gym, our most recent class of MD students proudly carry on the Mustang tradition of reaching for the stars in their pursuit of Nothing but the Best. For information: Contact the Milton District at 905-878-2839 or @miltonmustangs.
“Vision: At Milton District, our vision is to ensure that every student will explore their passions, skills, and strengths to thrive as contributing global citizens.
Goal: In our school, and in our classrooms; through an environment, instruction, assessment, and evaluation; WE, the MD staff, are working intentionally to create a teaching and learning environment that is inclusive, promotes the intellectual engagement and well-being of all students, and reflects individual student strengths, needs, learning preferences and cultural perspectives.
Mission: Always an exemplary learning experience for everyone.” As originally published by Milton DHS
Address: 840 Scott Blvd, Milton, ON L0P, Canada | Telephone: 905-878-3166 | Fax: 905-878-6466
“In the early 1900s, Milton inventor and businessman Peter Lymburner Robertson (1879-1951) established the Robertson Manufacturing Company in the town of Milton and began producing the Robertson screw and screwdriver – at the time, a unique square recess impression in the head of a screw. It was a revolutionary change in the fastener industry. The first patent was issued in 1909 and the last patent expired 55 years later in 1964. His firm was the largest employer in Milton for more than 50 years. Robertson screws and screwdrivers carry his name to this day. An innovator, industrialist, and astute businessman, Robertson’s products became widely used, from the wooden bodyworks of Henry Ford’s Model to ships built by the British Navy in WWII. Robertson Manufacturing Company also became one of the first firms in the fastener business to pre-package screws and nails. Robertson’s 40-year career transformed the Haldimand Country farm boy into a millionaire-philanthropist. He remained in control of his company until his death in 1951. For information: Contact the P. L. Robertson Public School at 905-878-3166.
Our partners at Milton Community Resource Centre (MCRC) provide before and after school care to P. L. Robertson students.” As originally published by P. L. Robertson Public School
Address:1257 Sedgewick Crescent, Oakville, ON L6L 1X5, Canada | Telephone: 905 465-0512
“École élémentaire de langue française du CSViamonde à Oakville.” As originally published by ÉÉ Patricia-Picknell
Address:1055 McCraney St E, Oakville, ON L6H 1H9, Canada | Telephone: 289 529-0065
“École secondaire de langue française du Conseil scolaire Viamonde à Oakville.” As originally published by ÉS Gaétan Gervais
CATHOLIC AND PRIVATE SCHOOL:
Address: 720 Woodward Ave, Milton, ON L9T 4A3, Canada | Telephone: 800 274-3764
“L’École élémentaire catholique Saint-Nicolas de Milton a ouvert ses portes le mardi 4 septembre 2007. Cette école était située dans un édifice temporaire jusqu’à ce que la recherche d’un site permanent soit complétée. L’école est maintenant située dans un lieu permanent depuis septembre 2010.” As originally published by ÉÉC Saint-Nicolas
Address: 841 Savoline Blvd, Milton, ON L9T 0Z1, Canada | Telephone: 905-636-9692 | Fax: 905-636-8545
Lumen Christi is an ELKP through Grade 8 Catholic elementary school within the Halton Catholic District School Board. The school first opened its doors to students in the fall of September 2011. The official blessing and dedication of the school by Bishop Crosby took place on December 13th, 2011, the feast day of our patron saint, Saint Lucy. For information: Contact the Lumen Christi at 905-636-9692.
“Saint Benedict Parish was formally established on the feast of Saint Benedict, July 11th, 2012 and began operations at the end of September 2012. The church serves parishioners living south of Derry Road and is located at 1069 Kelman Court in Milton.” As originally published by Lumen Christi Catholic ES
Address:1145 Bronte Street South, Milton, ON, Canada | Telephone: 905-636-F8799Fax: 905-636-7213
Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School is dedicated to academic excellence, the development of each individual’s interests and talents, and the nurturing of the Catholic Faith. Students are taught to think critically, work independently, communicate effectively, and show respect for themselves, for others, and for the environment. By accepting the challenge of education now, our students will be prepared to meet the future with faith, confidence, and a strong sense of their own self-worth. The staff of Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School, in partnership with home and church, is dedicated to helping our students respond to this challenge by helping them discover the strengths and talents inherent in each and every one of them. For information: Contact the Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School at 905-636-F8799 or @StFXSOS.
“Mission Statement: The Halton Catholic District School Board, in partnership with home and Church, is dedicated to providing excellence in Catholic education by developing Christ-centred individuals enabled to transform society.” As originally published by Jean Vanier Catholic SS
Address: 2600 Grand Oak Trail, Oakville, ON L6M 0R4, Canada
“Mission de l’ÉSC Sainte-Trinité -Dans une communauté francophone aux valeurs catholiques, la mission de l’école secondaire catholique Sainte-Trinité est de développer avec les élèves les compétences du XXIe siècle qui leur permettront d’être des citoyens et des citoyennes responsables, sachant travailler en collaboration et ayant développé un sens de l’éthique. L’école s’engage à offrir un milieu de vie où l’excellence, le respect et la motivation se côtoient dans tous les aspects de la vie scolaire.” As originally published by ÉSC Sainte-Trinité
Facilities in this Neighborhood:
- 5 Playgrounds
- 3 Tennis Courts
- 1 Spray Park
- 1 Basketball Court
- 1 Sports Field
- 1 Trails
- 1 Multi-Use Pad